Here are just a few suggestions to help you stock up on organic groceries when they are on sale.
1. If you don’t use PC Points or Superbucks to help reduce the costs of your organic milk, consider buying a month’s worth on 15% off Tuesday at SOF (you can use coupons here too) then freeze it!
Make sure you write the date you froze it and the date it expires so you know how much time you have after you thaw it before it goes bad.
Freeze it in a ziplock bag. Lie the bags flat to freeze and to make for easy stacking. You can also stock up on your organic cheese, yogurt and butter for the month and freeze it as well. You can stock up on meats, eggs
, breads and produce and freeze as well!
2. Learn how to substitute one product for another. On Sunday we made chocolate chip cookies and instead of using eggs (organic eggs are NOT cheap) we used banana as a substitute! Organic bananas ARE cheap and the banana added extra sweetness to the cookie. Bonus: my non-fruit eating son eats them without knowing there is fruit in them.
3. Preserve! Freeze, pickle, dry. This is an area I am determined to learn more about this spring/summer so that I can make my garden produce last longer. Freezing seems to be the easiest method right now. When you see a sale, especially on 15% off day, stock up on that produce and learn how to freeze it! Freezing fruit is VERY easy! So is blending it up into sauces for baking or eating 🙂
4. DIY. Make your own foods. Recently I’ve learned how to make our own pudding and have been able to add healthy ingredients into it like bananas, avocados and almond butter. These puddings are absolutely delicious and by buying the ingredients to make our own organic pudding, we’re saving lots of money.
5. Make frugal meals. Stretching a roasted chicken or maximizing the amount of produce I get can be a challenge, but very rewarding when you’re successful. This month we managed to use one free-from whole chicken and turn it into 3 meals for a family of 4! Get creative and search for easy, yet maximizing recipes! In March I’ll share our frugal meals!
Any more ideas? Let me know!